Sunday, October 3, 2010

Luckyday Residential College Dedication



On Friday we went to Oxford for the dedication of the Luckyday Residential College at Ole Miss. My Mom is the executive director of the Luckyday Foundation which gives students scholarships to attend Ole Miss. It was started by my Mom's late boss, Mr. Frank Day. Mom worked for Mr. Day as long as I can remember and now she is the director of his foundation. It was a wonderful day honoring Mr. Day.

The day started with a luncheon at Bryant Hall on the Ole Miss campus. We got to hear Dr. Jones, the Chancellor, speak as well as the chairman of the board for the Luckyday Foundation. I also got to visit with Chancellor Khayat (he was chancellor when I attended Ole Miss and has kept up with me through my Mom). After the luncheon, we took some pictures of the family since we all looked so nice!









Then we walked by the Grove to the Luckyday Residential College for the ceremony. It is a beautiful building where Luckyday scholars will live their freshman and sophomore years. In front of the building is a statue of Mr. Day. We were all so amazed at how the statue looks just like Mr. Day.







After the dedication and the ribbon cutting, we toured the residential college. It is so nice. For starters, every room has its own bathroom (no hall bathrooms like I had to use at Ole Miss!). Also, there is an awesome cafeteria and the Luckyday scholars get unlimited meals (I told my Mom I would have gained more than the freshman 15 if I had lived there!). There is also a kitchen if you want to cook your own meals, a library filled with computers, and an exercise room. I was very impressed!

Tripp and I were so glad we got to be there for the luncheon and dedication. We were so proud for the Day family, the Luckyday board, and my Mom. It was a wonderful day honoring Mr. Day and all he has done for Ole Miss and the state of Mississippi. Tripp and I talked later about how we left the dedication wanting to give back in anyway we can to Mississippi. We are encouraged and challenged by Mr. Day and his legacy to give back to our home state where there are so many needs.

No comments: